First impression on lactose free diet

Jun 22, 2014

Hello everyone.  Been a little while now since my last blog post. I have been a bit lazy and low on energy. There's so much I want to get done but no energy, and I have been sick a lot.



I'll add a read more tab to this post so if you don't want too read this you can easily skip it and go on to the more fun parts of this blog. I will be talking about my stomach problems and my first experience in having a milk/lactose free diet.



I have had stomach problems all my life. When I was a baby I had some terrible stomach aches and the doctors wanted to send me to the hospital for a lot of tests. But my mom didn't want to send me there on my own for a few days. I was just a tiny baby. So I have grown up with a lot of stomach pains. But the past 3 years it has gotten worse. A lot worse. I have stomach pains a lot more often and I get a lot of gas. A lot is an understatement. Extreme amount of gas. I can get these episodes where I'm constantly burping. And then I mean constantly. It can last for just a few minutes to a few hours. Its really draining. And the gas is not coming up all easily on its own so I have to press it up. And that's really draining.
The last month or so I have had a lot of stomach pains and I finally got around to call the doctor and get an appointment.



I promised my boyfriend the last time I visited him I would call the doctor. Just took me a month too get around to call. I have a bit of anxiety and for some reason calling became really difficult. But in the end I managed to take a deep breath and call inn and Thursday the 19th I got an appointment with a doctor.

He was really nice and I was really lucky getting him. He used to work in the "stomach" department somewhere, so he was really interested in stomach problems. So after pressing some on my stomach and got me set up for some blood tests. He told me that I was now gonna drop milk from my diet for two weeks too see how my stomach would be after two weeks. If nothing changes we would try out something else.
So today is the third day of my no milk/lactose free diet. So far I feel that eliminating lactose from my diet is a lot more easier then removing gluten/wheat. Finding alternatives to milk is a lot easier then finding for wheat. We went to the store and I was surprised how much I had to choose from. There was oat milk, soy milk, rice milk and almond milk. And we also have lactose free milk. But this round I'm staying away from any kind of cows milk. All of these replacements where okay and I could drink them all. My least favorite has to be the rice milk. Its really thin and I don't think it will work that well as a replacement for milk in food and baking.

I have yet to try normal soy milk as I only tested the chocolate one. But the oat and almond milk will work great in baking and in food. Will have to test this out a bit further. I tried to make a cake without milk. Its called a spice cake. I replaced the milk with oat milk and I think it worked great. Can't say that the cake was so good, but it was okay. I'm gonna try making a cake of another recipe I have and just replace the milk with oat milk. I'm gonna try making some fresh buns one day and I'm looking forward to it.



I also tried oat whipping cream. We where having this dessert that I really like but its got cream in it, and since I can't have milk I cant have cream. Suck. So in order for me to have some dessert as well we used this oat whipping cream and surprisingly, it looked and tasted a lot like cream. It turned out even whiter then normal cream, it will be easy to color in fun vibrant colors. 

So far I can't say I have noticed any difference.  My stomach still hurt. I would say that it hurts for most of the day. I get a few breaks here and there, but its pretty much constantly hurting. I do hope it will let go soon. If nothing changes during these two weeks I'll go back to the doctor and figure out what to do next.
I do hope we will be able to figure out what is wrong with my stomach. It has come to the point where its making it hard to function in daily life. So I really hope it something that can be fixed or controlled. I'm getting tired from these constant stomach pains and excessive gassing.







On another note. I'm soon going to visit my boyfriend in Denmark again~ On July the 10th its out 1 year anniversary. We have been together for a whole year soon. I can't wait to see him again. Its been a month now since I last saw him. We are in a long distance relationship. I live in Norway and he in Denmark. Its far away, but he could have been even further away. So I praise myself lucky because we do get to see each other quite often.




So as soon as I can get some bank stuff sorted I'm ordering tickets ^w^ Can't wait to be with him again. I miss having him around so much.




1 comment:

  1. Ouch, sounds really painful :( I hope you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post. Happy commenting~